Given the "there's an exception to every rule" concept, I doubt there is any single thing that's 100 percent black and white. But in the spirit of the question, here are some things you can bank on the vast majority of the time:
* You should never let the exceptions affect your go-to behaviors. If you behave in a way that positively impacts 95 percent of your sales/business relationships, but kills the other 5 percent, don't fret over it. Nothing is 100 percent.
* You are not the person in control of whether you make a sale. The prospect is. The sooner you get over that fact, the better off you'll be.
* You get what you expect from people. For example, if you believe prospects all lie then lies are what you will receive.
* You get what you give to people. For example, if you want respect, give it. If you want trust, give it. If you want commitments honored then honor your commitments. So model the behavior to prospects that you want from your prospects and you'll get that behavior.
* How prospects feel is more important than what they think (because how they feel so drastically impacts what they think).
* First and foremost, prospects want to feel understood. Start there and everything else gets better automatically.